SOCIAL DYNAMITE

I am Gabbie Gonzales, a sociologist baker and chef, committed to eradicating inequality in today's male dominated society.

In the future I would like to open a breakfast cafe and bakery where I can pursue my love of food and community organizing.

La Comida

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Friday and Saturday













On Friday a couple of fun and interesting things happened.

Artesans from the Artesan cooperative came to CEMAL (the house where we live) and set up their wares in the front yard. Many of the artesans are known personally by the CGE (center for global education) staff. We were introduced to each of the artesans and they shared a little about themselves and their history. The prices of their goods are non-negotiable because they have set them at what they think are a fair price for their work. I bought a pair of earrings for 50 pesos and a present for Rick, my stepdad, but I won't say what it is here in case he reads this!
After this I went to the pool at Universal, the language school where we begin classes on Monday.

Then, that night we went to La Comuna, a liberal community activist cafe about a 15 minute walk away from our house on H. Preciado in Colonia San Anton. The cafe is a wonderful wonderful place. The man who gave the talk to us on Mexico the other day is one of the main workers of La Comuna. We arrived before dark at about 6:40 and waited for everyone from our group to arrive. The purpose of this was an intercambio or a get together of people. So, Mexican students that CGE staff knew were invited to come to La Comuna. A guy named Jesus showed up but sat at a different table from me. We were served jamaica, or hibiscus water, which is a pure red/pink color. Then, another guy came and sat down at our table. He introduced himself and everyone at our table began conversing while we waited for our dinner. David, the name of the guy who came to sit down with us is a 26 year old musician getting his master's degree here in Cuernavaca in psychology. He came to La Comuna to play some music for us but he ate dinner with us before he played. We had tortas, or sandwiches. I chose a chicken sandwich. I am not quite sure what was on the sandwich but I know it had sprouts, chicken, avocado, and a lot of other things. I also put some kindly provided hot peppers on my sandwich.

At about 8:30 David sat down in the middle of the restaurant to play his guitar and sing for us. He sang about 10 or more songs from 8:30to 9:30. Anita, one of my professors told us afterwards that he sang a lot of traditional protest songs that were just new when she was in college. He had an incredible voice and was excellent at the guitar, I was enrapture for the whole hour trying to figure out what the words he was singing meant.

We returned a little late because we had to wait for a taxi to get home.
Today, Saturday.

My friends Lisa, Rebecca, Sarah, and I went to the Robert Brady Museum that I mentioned in my last post. I will post some pictures so everyone can see the crazy eclecticness of the museum. This museum used to be the house of Robert Brady, an American art collector and artist from Iowa. When he died he asked that his house be made into a museum. The house and arrangement of art is exactly how he left it. There is art from everywhere around the world in this house. Every surface is covered, some times more often than not bordering on cluttered. I think the bathrooms and the dining room/kitchen were my favorite rooms.
Then then went to eat lunch at a place at La Maga. This is a restaurant that has a buffet for lunch for 82 pesos. The buffet was amazing!!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen a bigger and more complete salad bar in my life. There were three different types of greens, guava, orange, papaya, plantains, sesame seeds, granola, carrots, jicama, radishes, carrots, beets, sprouts, cilantro, peppers, cabbage, everything you can imagine!
Then there was also other food besides salad. There were black beans, two different kinds of chicken in green and red sauces, rice, fried plantains, flautas, chimichangas, potato salad, pasta, two different types of soup, apple salad, cooked cactus, steamed cauliflower, steamed green beans, so so much!!!!!!
After that we went to a book fair/artesan market in a pedestrian walkway that operates every Saturday. Sarah and I had a good conversation with a man named Jesus who made ornate journals out of recycled wood which is chiseled and painted.

Then we started walking back to H. Preciado and on our way stopped at La Bodega, a popular supermarket.
Tonight I am not doing much but maybe babysitting a boy named Coltin who is the son of a woman in my program. One of the pictures I added is of him and me last night.
Then tomorrow we are leaving at 8:30 AM to Teotihuacan!

No comments:

Post a Comment